The U17s celebrate a win worth waiting for

Hillingdon Borough 3 v 6 Kensington Dragons U17s

The U17s were playing Hillingdon Borough away but due to their home pitch being water-logged, the game was switched to our home ground.  A full strength Dragons were keen for a game not having had one since mid-December.  The weather was not kind and with a biting wind and horizontal rain, the ref tentatively kicked off proceedings.  He had warned beforehand that with the conditions as they were, he would take a look at how it progressed, and would not hesitate to call off the game if the play was not proceeding appropriately.  The Dragons opened the play with a lovely early goal slotted in by Emmanuel Mtimba on the right wing.  This was followed by a foul on Carjez Best-Bryan in the penalty area, with a score to the Dragons from the ensuing penalty – 0:2 to the Dragons.  With the opposition becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of anything on their scoreline and with the heavy rain, another bad tackle this time on Miley Casey, meant a further penalty slotted home by the Dragons.  The opposition managed to pull back a goal before the half time whistle with a messy goal from a goal-mouth scramble and the score stood at 1:3 to the Dragons.

Back on the pitch, the weather had deteriorated even further and it was difficult for the boys to move about the pitch and the ball did not respond when kicked.  However, spirits remained high and the Dragons scored again, from a header from Jacob Hargreaves from a corner.  A further goal,  this time off Miley Casey’s boot, left the score at 1:5.  But the opposition did not give up and scenting the Dragons flagging legs from the long break, they fought long and hard to get further scores on the board.  They succeeded with 2 more goals, pulling the score back to 3:6.  Despite the conditions, the Dragons managed a further goal not long before the final whistle, leaving the final score at 6:3 to the Dragons.  Despite the heavy driving rain, the Dragons were glad they had turned out.