Dragons Reserves through to the Quarter Finals

Kensington Dragons Reserves 2 v 1 AFC Angel Hayes

The reserves returned to winning ways with a 2-1 (AET) victory against AFC Angel Hayes in the  3rd round of the MCFA Junior Cup.

The Young Dragons put in a battling performance to beat the steady but committed Angels. The first half was a fairly dull affair with the Dragons lacking confidence after 3 straight losses. New signing Jonno Malone though kept the ball moving well through midfield, they just lacked the sharpness and experience to capitalise going forward. Angel however managed a couple of late half chances to which keeper Joseph Muyanja had to be at his best to keep out.

The second half began in much the same fashion but with a new 3-5-2 in place, at least players were starting to get forward. On 60 minutes the Dragons won a free kick 30 yards out and Reiss Corr stepped up to curl in his 3rd goal of the season and take the lead. This opened up the opposition who pressed forward to leave gaps in behind. The Dragons countered sharply for the last 20 minutes and missed 3 guilt edge chances to finish off the tie but somehow spurned each of them. As the clock ticked down the Dragons sat deeper and just as the referee took the whistle to his mouth Angel fired a ball wide and the ref decided to see the outcome. The ball was crossed and after a melee, the striker scuffed the ball in. FT 1-1. As if to punish all those on the side, the heavens then opened as ET began and the Dragons looked to be heading to defeat with a poor opening 15 minutes. However some outstanding defending from Ade Akerdolu and some incredibly committed challenges from wing back Justas Krisciunas kept the score level. As the teams turned round, suddenly the home team woke up and won a penalty with 10 minutes left. Corr stepped up again but a leaping save to his right by the keeper deprived him of the winner. However, as the game headed to penalties, patient substitute Romone Bedeau found himself free following a set piece and span to finally fire in the winning goal.

FT AET 2-1