The Reserves beat top of the table CB Hounslow 2-0 at Birkbeck

Kensington Dragons Reserves 2 – 0 CB Hounslow Reserves

With the First team having no game due to marital affairs the Reserves were able to put out a more experienced team with 3 players from the senior squad in the starting line up. The management pleaded with the team to absorb the overly physical style of Hounslow and concentrate on playing football around the desperate and dangerous lunging challenges that would probably be evident.

The game began and within minutes the prophecy was hugely evident but the Dragons  looked cool under pressure and slowly began to produce some lovely football on a barely playable pitch. Kieran Cox and re-signing Dean Humphrey looked commanding in defence with keeper David Hills sweeping up superbly to mop up Hounslow through balls. Pavi Bangoo, usually a first team regular, was coming back from a 3 month lay off and once the rust was shaken off he began to take control of the game with Captain Luke O’Donoghue in midfield. The wide men Jack Lyons and Billy Maxwell began to enjoy this midfield stability and caused trouble down both flanks. However the first goal was always going to be massive in this fixture and after 35 minutes Adam Finch swung in a beautiful free kick, as he has done on numerous occasions over the past few  weeks. Center back Humphrey out muscled his defensive opponent to head home and the Dragons had the goal they deserved. 1-0 at half time with a super half of committed play in difficult circumstances.

The coaches simply asked to keep it going and avoid succumbing to the bizarre taunts and screams of their opponents. Taking it fully on board the second half was generally one way traffic with O’Donoghue in majestic form, tackling his heart out but also starting the play off on numerous occasions. A swift move ended with Maxwell hitting the bar but 10 minutes later the crucial goal was claimed. And what a goal it was. Hounslow were now under severe pressure and after a looping cross from Humphrey was cleared, Finch pounced on it to drift a cross over to the far post where Ali Soussi looked to have mistimed his run and arrived too early, as the ball crossed his body with his back to goal he through himself into a half somersault to overhead kick into the top corner. Outstanding technique and with 20 minutes left the points looked safe.

As Hounslow pushed forward, desperate to maintain their place in top spot, the Dragons cut them apart on the break and the only disappointment of the day was they couldn’t add to the scoreline. FT 2-0. MoM Dean Humphrey.