Results W/E 11th April 2021

We are on an upward trend:

The combined Seniors Team drew 1-1 away in the COVID cup against CB Hounslow. For the first 20 minutes it was clear that the Dragons were rusty after their break. The shock of going 0-1 down however galvanised the Dragons to pull up their footballing socks. At half time the coaches had an open discussion with the Dragons which lead to a much improved second half with the deserved equaliser coming after 60 minutes.  From then on it was the Dragons who were the better side, creating chances but just not converting them. All in all a credible away result.  

The U18s drew 2 – 2 with Forest FC at home. This was a tough match with Forrest playing 11 players behind the ball making them hard to break down. It was against the run of play that the Dragons went 0-2 down from two set pieces. The Dragons then staged a tremendous turnaround – with 5 minutes to go they scored twice in quick succession before almost then winning with the last kick of the game. The Dragons had again demonstrated their great attitude – they never gave up.

The U17s just lost 3-4 at home to Football Samuri, the Premier League leaders. The Dragons started well and took control to post a 2-0 lead at half time. But, as they say, football is a game of two halves and the Dragons were reduced to ten men through injury and short handedness which lead to a narrow final loss.

The U15 Boys beat Hanwell 4 – 3 at home; a thriller for the second week in a row.  After a dismal first 10 minutes leading to a 0-1 deficit, the Dragons took control and dominated possession to earn a 3 – 1 lead.   The Dragons goalie then made two impressive stops at point blank range to maintain the lead into the last 10 minutes.   Hanwell’s impressive striker put in his second goal to draw even with only 5 mins to play only for the Dragons number 10 to soar through the North Kensington sky for a winning header.  A fantastic win!!

The U15 Girls beat Limehouse 2-1 at home after a 17 week break between matches.  Both teams produce meaningful attacks but it was the Dragons who broke the deadlock after only 5 minutes. Limehouse were not to be underestimated however and it took them only 3 minutes to equalise.  Both teams then pressed for a win but at half time it was still 1-1.  Limehouse believed that they would win but the third goal nearly came from the Dragons with a 20-yard shot that hit the post. Although Limehouse had more subs to keep their squad lively their weakness was their goal kicking and a particularly tepid one fell to the Dragons who scored to win with 7 minutes left on the clock.

The U14 Boys had no match

The U13 Boys lost against Pinnstars at home. The home defeat did not reflect the brave commitment of the Dragons and their new goalkeeper, returning after a year away from football.  Still embedding in a relatively new team, with a few injuries, the Dragons played well against the second placed Pinnstars in the League. As the resilient Dragons Manager said at the post match press conference “This was an encouraging second outing after Lockdown”. 

The U13 Girls had no match

The U12 boys defeated Venceremos 3-1 away. Venceremos  neglected to tell the Dragons that the match was to be played, against the rules, on a full sized pitch. The Dragons spurned the opportunity to be awarded the match, choosing rather to beat Venceremos.   They started strongly to go 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes – with a second shot then beating Venceremos’s keeper only to be questionably saved by their centre back. Venceremos made it 1-1 with 30 seconds left in the first half. The Dragons dominated the second half with their striker completing a hat trick to win 3-1.

The U12 Girls beat Kinja 2-0 at home in an evenly matched defensive struggle. The Dragons’ keeper made big saves to keep the home advantage with their defence and midfield consistently stopping Kinja in their tracks. Finally the Dragons striker broke the deadlock to convert late in the half. The second half was again very competitive with neither team dominating.  The Dragons struck midway with a highlight reel shot from the right wing to gain an  insurmountable 2-0 lead.  This was the Dragons second consecutive clean sheet – a sign not only of the team’s hard work, but of great coaching and a fitness regime that gave the girls that extra edge in a fast pace match with no substitutes.

The U11 Boys drew 0-0 against Boreham Wood away in a spectacular demonstration of grit and determination. Boreham Wood had beaten the Dragons soundly earlier in the season so this was a tough match for the Dragons – playing away in their first match after the lockdown with key players missing. On a confidential basis your correspondent was steeling himself for a thumping defeat. The Dragons had no such qualms and played with steely determination and were in fact unlucky not to win.

The U11 Girls lost at home to Vicky Park Rangers in a spirited match. The Dragons had a big squad and would rather play 9 a side to give all the players more game time.  

The U10s trained before playing a friendly against the U11 Boys as they prepare to be entered in the League. There remains some catching up to do.