Results W/E 24th October 2021

A good weekend out on the playing fields with the Seniors finding their stride:

The Firsts drew 2-2 at home to Wilberforce Wanderers. So close to taking all three points, the Dragons played excellently and controlled the fixture. At 83 mins the Dragons were 2-1 up but were the makers of their own demise as a mistake led to a Wanderers goal. Still, their opponents only managed 2 shots throughout the entire game. The Dragons showed they can dominate possession and contain teams. A good day’s work.

The Blues held onto a rewarding 2-1 victory away at London Titans. After their disappointing defeat last week, it was important to bounce back immediately. Despite starting a player short, the Blues looked comfortable and created several good chances, only to concede from 30 yards. However, unlike last week, the Dragons rallied and with their full complement of players continued to dominate and to be rewarded with 2 goals. The Titans bombarded the Dragons penalty area but they held firm and saw out the game.

The Old Dragonians won 2-1 at home in a hard-fought Divisional Cup tie against West London Vets. The Old Dragonians are in the last 8! Moments of pure magic put the Dragons ahead after a Beckham-esque freekick and a clinical counterattack. The Dragons then had to dig deep and defend against an experienced side, soaking up pressure right until the final whistle. A deserved victory for the Dragons. Bring on the quarter finals.

The U18 Boys lost away to Harrow Club. Playing away can be a trial and so it proved.

The U16 Boys couldn’t convert their chances and lost 1-4 away to Brunswick. The Dragons went into halftime 0-2 down after some unusually poor defending, despite creating several attempts on goal. With only one sub, there weren’t enough fresh legs for the second half to reinvigorate the squad. The Dragons know their opponents were good but not a better side, and will take to the training ground this week with that in mind.

The U15 Boys drew 2-2 with Acton Ealing Whistlers away in a cracker of a match. The Whistlers scored first before the Dragons converted a penalty. The Whistlers then drew ahead but continual pressing by the Dragons led to the equaliser. Excitement briefly flared when two players had a difference of opinion; not conducted in as courteous a manner as one would hope, resulting in both sides being reduced to 10 men. The Dragons finished on top with two successive corners but alas the winning goal would not come.

The U14 Boys had no game.

The U13 Boys lost 1-3 away to St Josephs. The Dragons played good football throughout – a testament to their coaches – but lost concentration momentarily to concede twice. The Dragons then looked to be reeling in their opponents after going behind and took control of the game, until some questionable officiating made the task harder. A good performance to build on.

The U12 Boys had a tough day at home, losing to Super Skills. After a superb turnout to training the day before, the Dragons couldn’t find their rhythm on matchday. Lessons learnt for this young squad who will no doubt find their fire.

The U11 Boys home match was postponed because Wealdstone could not field a team. The Dragons instead organised a match with the U10s and U11s mixed into two reasonably balanced sides.

The U10s played a match with the U11 Boys on the main pitch as a step towards entering them in the League as next season’s U11s.

The U16 Girls had no game, preparing instead for an important League clash this coming weekend.

The U14 Girls had no game.

The U13 Girls had no game.

The U12 Girls away match should be awarded to the Dragons as FC Starz could not field a team. The time was usefully used back at home base with the veteran U12s putting their U11 colleagues through their footballing paces.

The U11 Girls had no match so trained, before playing a spirited game against the Under 12 Girls. The two teams were more evenly balanced than many expected, and event will go down in Dragon’s history with the U11s scoring their first ever goal.