Results W/E 2nd February 2020

The sunlit uplands of spring cannot be far away but in the meantime we squelch in the mud – or stay tucked up in bed as the case may be:

The Firsts beat Victoria FC 3-1 away in a magnificent display. The first half was tight leaving it 0-0 at the break. The Dragons scored early in the second half before drawing ahead to 3-0. Victoria made a huge last effort to get back into the game and managed a consolation goal 3 minutes before the final whistle. This was a great performance by the Dragons who had not beaten Victoria before.

The Reserves showed huge character to draw 3-3 with Centenary Park at home. The Dragons were a depleted side as they faced Centenary who assumed an easy win. The longer the game went on the more frustrated Centenary became and then in almost the last seconds a Dragon found himself in front of Centenary’s goal with the goalie wallowing horizontally in the mud – glory was in sight – but, rather than passing the ball into the open net, he achieved the more difficult task of hitting the cross bar to leave it 3-3. Whilst the draw was a magnificent achievement some would have preferred a win.

The U17 Reds match at home v St Josephs was called off as the LCS pitch was waterlogged

The U17 Whites match v Belmont at home was called off as the LCS pitch was waterlogged

The U16s had no match

The U14 Girls beat Sporting Duet Lionesses 1-0 at home. The Dragons continue to improve as they had previously been beaten by the Lionesses 2-7 and 2-4. This was an evenly matched encounter with much of the play in midfield with the Dragons missing a couple of chances. With 12 minutes left of the first half the Lionesses’ keeper rolled the ball to her defender who fumbled to give the Dragons their opportunity to make it 1-0. The Lionesses then tried their hardest, but they could not break through the Dragons defence and had to depart for home leaving the Dragons triumphant.

The U14 Boys League Trophy match v London Tigers away was called off because on arrival the Tigers confessed to not having a pitch – a vital requirement one would have thought.

The U14 Boys had the previous week beaten higher placed Football Samurai in the same Cup. A defensive minded first half had ended in a scoreless draw. The Dragons had then struck first by putting away a sloppy clearance from a corner. This was followed by a goal of the season ….. a beautiful corner finished with a clinical header. As the Manager said, such was the quality that “It was like watching Sky sports on a Sunday afternoon”. After letting in a goal to fray the Dragons nerves, they executed some intricate passing in the box allowing a final strike to gain a solid 3 – 1 away victory.

The U13 Boys lost against TFA United Bushey away. On a busy morning of ups and down spent trying to find the pitch the Dragons eventually managed to get down to business. The first half was all Kensington Dragons with the majority of the ball being played in Bushey’s half who nevertheless scored with their first chance. The second half was less successful.

The U12 Boys lost against Chiswick Medonians at home. The fixture got off to less than an ideal start with the late news that the Dragons goalie had squashed his fingers in a slamming door. The Dragons played well in parts but not so in others, seemingly forgetting that it only takes a second to score. Chiswick had not forgotten.

The U12 Girls League Cup match v Omnia Youth was called off as Omnia could not raise a side.

The U11 Boys lost against Princess Park at home. This was a better performance from the Dragons who played well in the first half and then, less usually, carried on playing well for much of the second half but not alas for all. The team is now playing reasonable football for three quarters of a match which, whilst an improvement, is not enough.

The U11 Girls match v Vicky Park Rangers in the League Cup at home was called off as the pitch was waterlogged.

The U10s trained in preparation to joining the League