Promotion for U13s followed by Trophy win at home

Kensington Dragons U13s  7  V  1  Ruislip Rangers B.

Goalscorers: Joe 2, Sidney, Joseph 2, Waleed, Felix.

In the first game after securing promotion to the second division at Linford Christie Stadium, the jubilant Dragons were back at St. Mark’s park to host Ruislip Rangers B in the League Trophy. The Dragons had put 17 goals past Ruislip in their last two meetings so expectations of another high scoring game were on the high side to say the least.

There were still a few personnel missing after the Easter break but the Dragons had a strong squad to choose from and a few players who had missed out recently were given the nod to start.

As the game got under way the Dragons struggled to find their rhythm and showed signs that they were feeling a little rusty after 3 weeks without a competitive match. But slowly they began to go through the gears and after 6 minutes they took the lead through Joe who finished after a neat one two opened up the visitor’s defence.

The Dragons were lacking their usual composure on the ball and were in too much of a hurry to get the ball forward and add to their goal tally and that was leaving them vulnerable at the back.

When the ball sat up nicely for the Ruislip captain he hit a sweet shot that sailed over the defenders and into the net. A great strike and a well deserved goal. The first Ruislip have ever scored against the Dragons and ending a run of 3 back to back clean sheets.

But it only took a minute for the Dragons to get themselves back in the driving seat. With Joe claiming his second of the match.

We had to wait a whole nine minutes before the next goal, Sidney cutting into the box and finishing from close range after good work from Joseph on the edge of the area.

Ilya was proving to be a constant thorn in the opposition’s side down the left wing, all that was missing was the end product. Just before half time he rectified that by setting up Joseph who found the net with a clinical finish. So it was 4-1 at the break. The Dragons play was looking a little predicable and at the interval the coach asked for more composure and quality on the ball in midfield. A better class of opposition would have no trouble in working them out and nullifying their forays down the left.

The home team started the second period as they had finished the first, typified by Joseph’s busy industry on the right of the box before he crossed perfectly for Walleed to tap home from six yards. Three minutes later Joseph was rewarded with his second of the match after a typical dynamic run and cross form the all-action Jake. The visitors were reduced to long-range efforts from their diminutive captain, who began to cut a frustrated figure as the home team cut off the supply to him.

The game was now in the bag and the Dragons looked to see out the match. There was just time for Felix to add a seventh goal with a trademark half volley from the edge of the box and a final effort from the Ruislip captain that struck the angle of cross bar and post before the referee’s whistle brought the game to a close.