Reserves falter at home to Broadfields

Kensington Dragons Reserves 4 v 6 Broadfields Reserves

After a last kick victory in the previous game against Broadfields Reserves it was clear that Dragons would need to put a lot of effort into the game to maintain top position in the league table. With a completely new defence, Stefan Baisden and Kamal Romain, both signed in the last transfer window day, made their debuts, and their goal would prove much harder to achieve. Up front was only one change with Ali Soussi in to replace Andrew Scheck who was called up for the first team game.

After a good start, the team looked full of optimism. All of that disappeared after 5 min when the defenders made a massive mistake and let the opponent take a shot from the edge of the box. 0-1 so early on opened the game up and 3 minutes later Ali Soussi made a fantastic run on the side of the box and he scored for 1-1. Another 5 minutes and another score for Dragons. A great pass through the opposition defensive line and Justas Krisciunas found himself face to face with the keeper but found little competition and scored for 2-1. Dragons continued nervously at times but managed to see the half out to go into the break a goal to the good.

Over the 15 minutes of half time, no one expected what would happen in the second 45mins. Dragons were focused coming back on the pitch, took a chance, scored one more goal and brought the game under their control. 3 minutes after the restart of the game Elhabib Oumar scored  a fantastic goal using one touch to lob the keeper. Unfortunately a few minutes later a completely non understandable referee decision gave our opponents a penalty. 3-2 and all nerves came back. In truth the referee was not having the best of games for either side and Dragons won a soft penalty. Playing for the Reserves this week, Dean Humphrey easily beat the keeper from the spot. 20 mins to the final whistle and Dragons were 4-2 up.

Unfortunately the referee showed his skills again. After a clear foul 35yrds in front of the goal he gave the advantage to Broadfields to carry on. They scored but the linesman showed an offside. Surprisingly the ref then pulled the game back to the foul and gave a free kick. They crossed into the box, won a challenge in the air and scored for 4-3. The opposition could feel the tide turn and a few minutes later won a corner kick and showed Dragons what is their weakness this season. Another cross, another header and another lost goal by Dragons. Over the last 3 games the team has lost 5 goals from corners.

When everybody expected the final whistle the ref extended the 2nd half to 54 minutes without any reason. There were no cards or injuries in this game. In the last minute of injury time disaster struck. Broadfields cleared the ball in towards Dragons goal. The keeper David Hills made a mistake and, under no pressure, let the ball bounce in front of him and then over him. It was incredible. The worst goal the team have ever conceded! Shocking! From 3-1 and 4-2 Dragons were 4-5 in the 9th minute of injury time. The team, disheartened and shell shocked then compounded their misery. A quick centre, missed pass and counter attack killed the game completely. 4-6 and the final whistle.

Kensington Dragons Res lost the game they shouldn’t have even drawn. In the final part of the season the team can ill afford for any more games like that.