Results Round-Up 21 October 2012

Winter is creeping up on us with our Firsts continuing to power ahead:

The First beat Horseed 3-1 away. This promised to be a straightforward win with Horseed drawing their last game against the bottom side 5-5. This proved to be far from the case as the Dragons did little to get any rhythm in their play and their lack of authority was sensed by Horseed who looked the more dangerous and indeed scored first from a free-kick. With twenty minutes gone in the second half and substitutions made the Dragons continued to search for a way back into the game with penalty claims and near misses at one end and their goalie keeping Horseed at bay at the other. Finally another corner was met sweetly by a Dragons head to equalise. A well timed run was found by a nice reverse pass and a sweet finish put the Dragons in front.  Horseed were now in disarray and a delightful display of Dragons skill lead to a third to possibly flatter the Dragons performance.

The Reserves lost 1-6 to Broadfields at home in a plane crash type day. With the Dragons missing players, players late and an unprepared young team they were punished heavily for doing the simple things wrong. That said the Dragons played the better football throughout but failed to capitalise on numerous chances and defensive errors cost them as Broadfields counterattacked. Much was learned and it is now a return to cup football.

The U17’s were cruelly beaten 1-2 away in the last 30 seconds by Pinnstars. The pitted and water-logged pitch was determined fit to play and the struggle began.  Both teams were evenly matched and the score stood nil all at half time despite opportunities which were not converted on both sides. Back on the pitch the Dragons scored almost immediately from a lovely headed home cross. Pinnstars pressed and pressed but were thwarted by skilful Dragons goalkeeping. 15 mins from the end Pinnstars had a lucky run which was judged not to be offside and it was a draw. Both sides battled for the winner. Finally with 30 seconds to go Pinstars attempted a high looping cross from the left but sliced the ball to see it float over the finger tips of the Dragons goalie to win the game. Phew!!!

The U15’s had no game

The U14A’s lost 2-4 away to Pinner United in the Middlesex Cup. With many players away for half term the Dragons were reduced to 10 but did a great job at containing the numerically superior Pinner and scoring twice. Pinner were awarded two penalty kicks one of which was saved by the Dragons goalie who staged a confident tease & scare show before it was taken. All in all a very good match considering the circumstances.

The U14B’s lost 5-6 to Yeading at St Marks in the Middlesex Cup after extra time. The omens were not good. Brooding clouds, a no-show from the ref and a tetchy Hayes and Yeading turning out in faded tangerine – leading our red-blooded Eagles playing in blue and white hoops. But while they may have looked liked the floundering strangers of Loftus Road, the Dragons played like ….Dragons. With two goals down against the run of play they made their trademark class delivery – and after a fine cheeky looping chip from the increasingly influential new winger took the Dragons into a tantalising lead. But beware the Ides of St Marks. The treacherous London clay began to weigh heavily on the Dragons defenders’ feet and a late equaliser from Yeading’s bright number 9 brought a sombre sense of Cup-tie déjà vu: 3-3 and extra time. There would be no ‘Willesden wilt’ this time, though, and a furious 30 minutes brought five more well-fought goals. That not enough of those were ours to seal a highly deserved victory is of interest to statisticians and Middlesex Cup bureaucrats alone. To those intent on greater things, here was another performance to savour: style in adversity, grace under pressure. To Yeading a 5-6 win in a Sunday football match. To these still-golden Eagles, so much more.

The U13’s had no game

The U11’s lost 2-5 to Crouch End away. After 15 minutes of tense negotiations Crouch End Coach were persuaded to play after the Dragons Coaches came to the rescue by sweeping the puddles off the pitch. After another inspection the match finally kicked off 15 minutes late. By 11.05 the Dragons were losing by 5-0 and seemed to be asleep, the half time whistle could not come quick enough.  A solid second half by the Dragons gave them 2 early goals and a stable performance resulted in a second half clean sheet. A footballing lesson after the previous week’s victory!