Firsts suffer shoot-out heartache

Kensington Dragons 0 v 0 Interwood 0 (Away win on pens AET 2-4). Premier Division Cup

Any hint of a storm on its way would have been clearly present with the wet and blustery conditions in West London. Dragons prepared for the visit of a team intent on setting the record straight after we had inflicting their first defeat of the season. Dragons concerns lay elsewhere and that was in making good use of the chance to give squad members more minutes to enhance the strength of the squad for the league campaign. It looked as if such members would get off to a great start as all three were involved in a move that resulted in Mariner somehow not connecting properly from six yards. It was probably the clearest opportunity for either side in the opening half where strong midfield and compact defence had both teams cancelling one another out.

The trend did not change to any with good build up play at either end being let down by a telling final ball. While it is easy to heap praise on the attacking side of the game, there should be as much recognition given to the defensive side of the game and both teams where showing why they will have a big say in where the title goes this year. Still both teams searched for the winner and with all substitutions made before the 90 minutes were up it would be Dragons that finished stronger with Mariner making space for a measured shot that just missed the target. So without the deadlock broken extra-time followed and Dragons continued to win on points sustaining longer spells of possession and when they did get through a player on the line or an instinctive save from the keeper would not allow this match to avoid a penalty shoot-out.

It was Dragons who started the kicks and we quickly got to two a piece but Dragons then went on to miss their next two and with that bowed out of the second cup with one remaining, and more importantly a league game to concentrate on next Saturday to remain at the summit against the highest scoring team in the division.