U12s keep a clean sheet and earn another victory

Kensington Dragons U12s 1 v 0 Acton & Ealing Whistlers

Acton & Ealing Whistlers were the visitors for the Dragons first home game of the season and they were welcomed with a spell of unseasonal October sunshine to St. Mark’s Park.

The Whistlers kicked off with the sun in their eyes but it was the Dragons who struggled to find the form that has seen them take maximum points from all their games so far this campaign.

The game was scrappy with the Dragons losing out in key midfield areas as A&E came out on top in the opening exchanges. A 25 yard free-kick almost put the visitors ahead as it flashed just wide of the top right corner of the goal. The KD coaching staff knew something had to be done and made some decisive changes to the midfield personnel. Almost immediately the Dragons began to tick. They regained their composure and started to find their trademark passing game. Two attempts on target came in quick succession followed by two in return from the Whistlers but Arthur, a giant between the posts, was equal to them.

With the clock ticking down to half time The Dragons defence broke up another Acton attack and Sonny found Ilya, who had been switched to the left, with a precision pass. Ilya tapped the ball forward into space and raced onto it. As he bore down on goal, he just managed to poke it past the on-coming keeper before he was clattered by the covering defender. He got to his feet with the cheers of Dragons’ supporters ringing in his ears. So the Dragons went into the break with their noses in front.

The second half opened as the first one had ended with the majority of the play taking place in a congested midfield.

The visitors were pushing for an equalizer and had another free-kick that went just inches wide of the left-hand upright.

The Dragons defence was now working like a well-oiled machine, snubbing out everything the opposition could throw at them.

The home side battled to preserve their lead but in the dying minutes of added time they conceded a corner. The home supporters held their collective breath as they feared the worst. The corner was lofted into the packed penalty area but once again the Dragons cleared their lines and heard the sweet sound of the final whistle. A hard fought victory that maintains our 100% start.