Results Round-Up 28 October 2012

With winter fast approaching it is the U14 Eagles who are vying with the Adults to be team of the season:

The Firsts beat West End 5-3 in the Middlesex County Football League Cup. The Firsts have now won every game this season bar one

The Reserves beat AFC Angel Hayes 2-1 in Extra Time in the Middlesex County FA Cup. In truth this was a poor display from the Dragons against limited opposition but for a super free kick by the young Dragon midfielder. The Dragons spurned multiple guilt edge chances to finish the game and were punished with the last kick in 90 minutes, conceding a scrappy equaliser. The rain then came down and the Dragons looked downhearted as they started Extra Time. As the game inexorably moved towards penalties, the Dragons substitute winger saved the day by spinning in the box to find the winner.

The U17’s lost to Pitshanger 2-3 at Birbeck. With the Dragons the underdogs against a strong Pitshanger it seemed that they were not prepared as within minutes they were down 0-1 through sloppy defending and a good Pitshanger finish. Instead of letting their heads drop the Dragons started to wake up and played the ball around more and were looking like the better side as they catalyzed on a defensive error to equalize. Pitshanger pressed and the Dragons could not quite cope as a defensive unit and conceded another 2 goals before half time. After the break the Dragons refused to give up and by defending well stopped Pitshanger from scoring for the whole of the second half. A delightful free kick was just out of Pitshanger’s reach and it was 2-3. Despite dominating the whole of the second half however the Dragons just could not get the last goal they needed to draw.

The U15’s beat Ruislip Town 5-2 in a good natured rather uninspiring game. The Dragons had a full squad and put in a workmanlike effort to secure a win in a game that that they never looked like losing. 2 wins out of 2 in the League –  could be worse.

The U14 Nighthawks lost 0-7 to Forrest United  with a reduced squad in this half term week.

The U14 Eagles beat TSA Totteridge 16-2 at St Marks. To quote the Dragons Manager “When your new winger scores a hat-trick you’re always going to smile. When your trusty centre-half scores one too, you’ll be excused a mighty grin. But when your star striker gets two of them and walks away with eight goals of his own, something strange happens: you end up scratching your head. Because 16-2 is, of course, no ordinary score – and our team is no ordinary team, with the forwards unstoppable, midfield uncatchable and defence so solid Totteridge found the game unplayable. With five names on the score sheet, this remained a team performance – the two conceded goals were scored when our commendably adventurous coach seized the chance for some welcome experimentation. But as the dust settles on another record-breaking performance, the questions remain. We have spirit, technique and organisation – but where do we go from here? Robbed of cup competition, will we get the challenges we need? The Eagles swooped, Totteridge tottered, but still we played below our best. How much higher can we fly?”

U13’s had no game

The U11’s lost 0-7 at St Marks. A nearly back to full strength Dragons team failed to switch into gear to take home advantage against AFC Wembley, a shaky start at the back lead to three soft goals before half time. After a tough talking to, the Dragons seemed to start playing some football but heads were down, there was a lack of
discipline and team effort which resulted in a further four goals being conceded. A disappointing Sunday morning at St Marks Park and a lesson for the Dragons who seemed to be living off their 14 goal victory a few weeks ago.