Results Round-Up 11 November 2012

Variable weather saw various Dragons on various pitches on this Remembrance Sunday:

The U11’s lost to unbeaten London Athletic at St Marks in a better performance than the score line would suggest. A full squad, sporting their new look football kit, roared into action and after ten minutes were winning 2-0 with a Premier League quality goal that had the spectators roaring with delight.  Half time saw league leaders London Athletic draw level. In the first 15 minutes of the second half the Dragons lost concentration and conceded 5 goals including a blatant off-side. The Dragons came back but just could not quite find the net until they squeezed a late goal as they dominated the second half. A really strong performance to build on for a victory this coming weekend.

The U13’s drew 2-2 with Hayes and Yeading after a 4 week gap. The Dragons coach made a tactical adjustment playing a centre half in midfield to add height and two new players made their debuts. Following an impeccably observed minutes silence the game kicked off with the Dragons suffering from their recent lack of activity as they were caught cold when within 5 mins they conceded from a well worked corner. For the next 15 mins the Dragons were under siege and only resolute defending stopped the team falling further behind. The Dragons gradually shook off their rust to gain a foot hold as they began to look dangerous down the wings and from one of these raids they won a corner to score. The second half saw the Dragons begin to dominate and the pressure led to the second and almost a third goal. With 10 mins left and the Dragons again attacking they unfortunately lost the ball and H&Y counterattacked to level.

The U14 Eagles beat Pinstars FC 7-3. In the post match press conference the Manager said: “We dug deep, pulled together, never let our heads drop, and though the odds, at times, were against it – we finally made it to Pinner. But if the patient opposition were hoping our lack of pre-match preparation would give them the edge, they were sorely disappointed. In the opening twenty minutes we were, quite simply, devastating. Once more we had it all: movement, power, and passing so slick it made a mockery of the Montesole marshlands. By the time the fifth scorched the back of the net the home support were ruefully shaking their heads. Pinstars pulled one back, thanks to their (particularly) big man. Then another, courtesy of a curiously small one. But these Eagles refuse to take it easy and when the half-time whistle blew at 2-6 up, the game seemed already over. How wrong we were – for it was a different Pinstars that emerged for the final forty. With pace, strength, technique and commitment they made the second half a thrilling contest with each team scoring a fine goal apiece which told us two great things. Firstly, that our hearts refuse to sink when our boots most certainly do. Secondly, we were playing a really decent team. And that tells you just how good we were in that opening spell and what great heights we’re now reaching. So there was only ever going to be one winner in Pinner – and that was the whole great Eagles team.”

The U14 Nighthawks beat Hanwell Town 6-2. Finally the Dragons had a full team and a deserved victory!

The U15’s had no game

The U17’s lost 1-6 at Birbeck to London Tigers. The Dragons were hoping to put on a good show at home and squeeze a victory against this tough team.  However, with late arrivals and missing a couple of key players, the Dragons wobbled and with some mistakes in defence by half time the score stood at 0-4 to the Tigers. Back on the pitch the Dragons tried and tried but were unlucky with a number of attempts just outside the goalposts and a free kick hitting the right hand post. The Dragons only managed to pull back one goal to two further goals to the Tigers. Some players need to show more commitment and punctuality so as not to let down their team-mates.

The Reserves lost 0-2 away to British Airways in the League Cup. Looking to respond from back to back defeats, the Dragons arrived in good spirits but lacking one of their centre backs who went AWOL. Sadly this meant playing the returning striker in defence which cost them going forward with the team still lacking experience. The Dragons were on the back foot throughout but defended superbly until after 30 mins the linesman was distracted by an injury and missed two massively offside passes allowing BA’s little striker to stand in front of the goal on his own to score. The Dragons pleaded for the referee to see the situation but he simply stated “if your linesman does not flag what can I do?” It was the last thing the Dragons needed. It got worse as on half time a terrible throw found BA’s midfielder who played a first time ball over the top for the number 9 to gallop through and score. After a few home truths were issued and a “nothing to lose” shape change was implemented, the Dragons looked a different side. Just 3 minutes in and a delightful cross and flick was heading in until BA’s keeper back pedalled to finger it on to the bar. Belief had returned and the Dragons dominated the last 30 minutes. A disappointing result but there was an air of positivity with the feeling that better results are around the corner with players returning and youngsters realising their need for a cooler head at key times.

The Firsts had no game